Treating Dental Anxiety With Sedation Dentistry in Calgary
The overwhelming fear of dental appointments can be a common cause of anxiety. Many people visualize a drill-wielding man in a white coat just waiting to cause pain and remove teeth. The reality, however, is very different. The comfort, relaxation, and happiness of the patient are the primary focus of any good dental practice.
How can one overcome dental anxiety?
Dental anxiety and fear can become completely overwhelming. It is estimated that as many as 35 million people do not visit the dental office at all because they are too afraid. Receiving regular dental check-ups and cleanings is incredibly important. Having regular routine check-ups is the easiest way to maintain excellent oral hygiene and reduce the need for more complex treatments.
6 Common Methods For Coping With Dental Fear
- Talk to us – Though it can be hard to talk about irrational fears with a stranger, we can take extra precautions during visits if fears and anxiety are communicated.
- Bring a portable music player – Music acts as a relaxant and also drowns out any fear-producing noises. Listening to calming music throughout the appointment will help to reduce anxiety.
- Agree on a signal – Many people are afraid that the dentist will not know they are in significant pain during the appointment and will continue with the procedure regardless. The best way to solve this problem is to agree on a “stop” hand signal. Both parties can easily understand signals like raising the hand or tapping on the chair.
- Spray the throat – Throat sprays can actually control the gag reflex.
- Take a mirror – Not being able to see what is happening can increase anxiety and make the imagination run wild. Watching the procedure can help keep reality at the forefront of the mind.
- Sedation – If there is no other way to cope, sedation offers an excellent option for many people. There are several types of sedation, but the general premise behind them is the same: the patient regains their faculties after treatment is complete.
Available Sedation Options in Panorama Hills
Avoiding visits to the dentist because of anxiety is a common occurrence. Whether a patient has an unpleasant past experience or their lack of familiarity with certain procedures gives them concern, there are several sedation options that can help.
Dr. Philip Love and our friendly staff at Love Dental Panorama Hills believe the combination of a delicate, personable approach with sedation promotes a positive environment for every patient. Contact our Calgary practice today to learn more about how we can help.
Establishing a Positive Environment
Our doctors have the necessary certifications to safely provide sedation to patients of all ages, but utilize communication and compassion to establish a trust in the process. We are sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns, taking the time to get to know them as people. Emotional pressure builds from a misunderstanding of the treatment process, and we find that their expectations can adjust after they learn how the recommended procedure is performed.
This approach works particularly well with children, as their imaginations often make them believe their visit will be more complicated than they can handle. We provide detailed explanations of what we discover during examinations and strive to address concerns before moving ahead with treatment.
Sedation Options Available
While we make every effort to promote comfort and positivity during visits, some patients still need extra help remaining relaxed throughout treatment. Our practice offers nitrous oxide and oral-conscious sedation to calm patients and perform procedures effectively.
Nitrous Oxide is the easiest and safest manner to receive sedation. Also referred to as laughing gas, nitrous is inhaled through a mask to give patients the ability to remain at ease throughout the process. Once the source is removed, the symptoms reverse nearly instantaneously, allowing those under sedation to return to normal daily activities without interruption.
Oral Conscious Sedation offers amnesia benefits, as patients don’t often remember every aspect of the procedure. This sedative is administered in pill or liquid form and effectively dulls the senses without putting those receiving it completely to sleep.
Schedule Your Appointment in Calgary Today
At Love Dental Panorama Hills, our caring and compassionate team want our patients to feel relaxed and comfortable while receiving care. In addition to our gentle approach, we offer various sedation methods to alleviate dental anxiety so you can maintain a healthy and functional smile. Call our office in Calgary today to schedule an appointment.